Design 4 Lean's certification process has three levels offering clients the ability to develop their continuous improvement capacity at a pace and depth that meets their needs. The three levels build on each other allowing clients to progress through the levels at their convenience. Clients can choose to be certified at the Associate, Practitioner or Master levels. Our certification program is flexible and can be adapted to meet client needs. Each level contains a combination of learning approaches and interactive sessions.
Level 1 - Associate
We offer an associate certificate that takes approximately 7 days to complete.
Level 1 certification focuses on developing your knowledge and understanding of lean and continuous improvement. This level also provides you with tools and skills to start implementing daily improvements in your organization.
When you have completed level 1 - associate certification you will:
• understand the history and evolution of lean and continuous improvement practices
• understand what adopting a philosophy of continuous improvement requires
• understand the critical role of strong communication when adopting a lean management system and beginning to build an environment for continuous improvement
• understand your role as a leader in developing the problem solving muscle of those in your organization
• understand how to involve and coach teams to create an environment for improvement
• understand the role of boards in a lean management system
• have the knowledge and skills to apply foundational lean tools in your organization including 5S, Value Stream Mapping and making your work visual
Level 2 - Practitioner
We offer a Practitioner certificate that takes approximately 50 days to complete. If you have taken level 1 already this level only takes 43 days.
Level 2 certification focuses on expanding the depth of your continuous improvement knowledge. This deeper understanding occurs by having you practice new skills and demonstrate an ability to lead teams through change while effectively utilizing lean tools at the right time in the right place.
When you have completed level 2 - Practitioner certification you will have the understanding and skills listed in level 1 certification above PLUS you will have:
• developed your continuous improvement story and a communications approach that will support your journey
• knowledge and demonstrated skill to effectively build an environment for improvement including capacity to create production and daily visual management boards
• demonstrated skill to lead continuous improvement events including value stream mapping, everyday kaizen events and Rapid Process Improvement Workshops
• demonstrated ability to lead teams through change
• coaching skills to effectively involve others in improvement
• demonstrated skill and understanding of tools to effectively build coalitions to create an environment of improvement
• an understanding of the power of curiosity and demonstrated ability to apply tools that support root cause analysis and problem-solving including 3x5 why, pareto, fishbone diagram and error proofing
• demonstrated ability to sustain improvements
Level 3 - Lean Master
We offer a Lean Master certificate that takes approximately 100 days to complete. If you have taken level 2 already this level only takes approximately 50 days.
Level 3 certification focuses on building your problem solving capacity. Upon completion you will be able to identify, design and lead continuous improvement processes and events. In addition you will have the ability to train others on tools and illustrate application to your environment.
When you have completed level 3 - Lean Master certification you will have the understanding and demonstrated skills listed in level 1 and level 2 certification above PLUS you will have:
• studied continuous improvement in other organizations
• illustrated an ability to learn from others and apply learnings in your workplace
• ability to design and lead continuous improvement events
• ability to build lean knowledge in your organization with teams through teaching and coaching
• skills to lead larger continuous improvement events such as strategy deployment, mistake proofing and 3Ps
understanding and ability to work more effectively in cross-functional teams
Focus on PPL